One of my favorite things to do for a party is have a “Create Your Own” style menu where everyone can build the meal they want. It creates an environment where interaction is fostered between everyone there and leaves everyone satisfied because they made the meal to suit their tastes.
This shredded beef recipe is a family favorite and it’s perfect for a “Build Your Own” burrito, taco, tostada, or nacho bar to feed your guests. Make sure you have a variety of toppings or ask your guests to bring their favorite topping to share with everyone. The possibilities are endless and everyone will have a memorable time.
SPICY SHREDDED BEEF
Note: This can also be made in the Crock-Pot by following steps 1 through 4. Place the browned beef, vegetables, seasonings, salsa, and water into the Crock-Pot stoneware and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 4-6 hours.
- 3 pounds tender chuck beef roast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, chopped (*seeds optional)
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 15 ounces can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 16 ounces jar salsa verde (tomatillo salsa)
- 16 ounces water
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Season roast on all sides with salt and pepper, set aside.
- Heat oil in a large oven-safe pot over medium-high heat, add onion, garlic, and jalapeno then saute for 5 minutes.
- Push vegetables aside, place the seasoned roast in the center, and cook about 6 minutes per side to brown the meat.
- Add the oregano, cumin, beans, and salsa verde, then fill up the salsa jar with the water and add it to the pot.
- Cover pot with a lid or heavy-duty tin foil and roast for 3 1/2 hours or until the meat shreds easily using a fork.
- Remove pot from oven, let rest for 30 minutes, then use two forks to shred the meat. Place the meat back into the sauce then serve with burritos, tostadas, and enchiladas.