Books, Books, Books
Whether you are a seasoned leader, or just beginning to leverage your skills, these books are excellent foundational reads. They are consistently recommended by leaders of all types.
- Blanchard, K., & Johnson, S. (1982). The One Minute Manager. New York, NY: William Morrow & Co, Inc.
- Carnegie, D. (1981). How to win friends and influence people. New York, NY: Simon & Schuster.
- Collins, J. (2001). Good to great: Why some companies make the leap and others don’t. New York, NY: Harper Collins. ISBN: 9780066620992
- Maxwell, J.C. (2007). The 21 irrefutable laws of leadership: Follow them and people will follow you. New York, NY: Harper Collins: ISBN: 9780785288374.
Do you know your leadership style? These books can support you in both identifying and developing your style over time.
- Blanchard, K., Hodges, P. (2008). Lead like Jesus: Lessons from the greatest leadership role model of all time. Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson.
- Gordon, J. (2007). The Energy bus: 10 Rules to fuel your life, work, and team with positive energy. New York, NY: Wiley. ISBN: 9780470100288.
- Sinek, S. (2017). Leaders eat last: Why some teams pull together and others don’t. New York, NY: Penguin Random House. ISBN: 9781591848011.
- Stabile, S. (2016). The road back to you: An enneagram journey to self discovery. Chicago, IL: IVP Books. ISBN: 9780830846191.
Everyone has a sphere of influence, regardless of position or title. As women, we have influence on our friends, families, colleagues, communities, and more.
- Duckworth, A. (2018). Grit: The Power of passion and perseverance. Scribner. ISBN: 978-1501111112.
- Horsager, D. (2012). The trust edge: How top leaders gain faster results, deeper relationships, and a stronger bottom line. New York, NY: Free Press.
- Scroggins, C. (2018). How to lead when you’re not in charge: Leveraging influence when you lack authority. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.
Faith Based Leadership
Leadership grounded in faith and centered on the Word of God has its roots in Biblical wisdom.
- Brown, B. (2018). Dare to lead: Brave work. Tough conversations. Whole hearts. New York, NY: Random House. ISBN: 9780399592522.
- Hagan, S. (2016). The language of influence. CreateSpace Independent Publishing. ISBN: 9781523863143.
- Malcolm, K.T. (1982). Women at the crossroads: A path beyond feminism and traditionalism. Chicago, IL: Intervarsity Press. ISBN: 9780877843795.
- Morris, R. (2014). The blessed church: The simple secret to growing the church you love. Colorado Springs, CO: WaterBrook. ISBN 9780307729750
- Wilson, S. (2013). Ready, set, grow!: 3 Conversations that will bring lasting growth to your church. Springfield, MO: My Healthy Church. ISBN: 978-1624230769.
As you find yourself moving into leadership positions, or, just want to develop yourself as a professional in whatever your calling is, these books can be a good resource to guide conversations and change.
- Patterson, K., Grenny, J., McMillan, R., & Switzler, A. (2002). Crucial conversations: Tools for talking when stakes are high. New York, NY: McGraw Hill. ISBN: 9780071401946.
- Hiatt, J.M. (2006). ADKAR: A model for change in business, government, and our community. Fort Collin, CO: Prosci Research. ISBN: 9781930885509.
- Craig Groeschel: Leadership Podcast. The Senior Pastor of Life.Church, Groeschel has been a speaker at the Sisterhood Leadership sessions for the annual Thrive Conference. Groeschel brings his experience plus a who’s who of leaders together to talk leadership.
- Catalyst. Catalyst Leader Podcast. Catalyst’s mission is to “connect & empower an emerging generation of leaders to be changemakers in the Church, marketplace, and culture.”
- John Maxwell’s Leadership Podcast. Maxwell targets fundamental leadership topics such as communication, leadership styles, and developing a growth mindset.
- Young Adults Today Podcast. Focused on reaching young adults, this podcast is hosted by our very own Micah Kennealy and her husband, Josiah. They lead the MN Young Adults as a part of the Minnesota District Council of the Assemblies of God while also pastoring a college ministry called Chi Alpha at Normandale Community College.
Websites, Online Courses and Applications
- AG Coaching: A division of the Assemblies of God National Leadership & Resource Center, AG Coaching provides coaching and coach training for leaders with entry level training and specialized focus areas.
- Becky Meyerson – Flourishing Life: Sisterhood Leadership’s own Becky Meyerson offers coaching and Bible studies. Her website includes e-courses in mission development, working through transition, and intentional living.
- FranklinCovey: The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People is only one of many leadership resources available. One of our Sisterhood Leadership friends shared that “every human on the planet should take their Unconscious Bias course.”
- John Maxwell: This is a one stop shop for Maxwell’s entire catalog of books, audio resources, and more. Access the John Maxwell Academy – filled with his selection of online courses for leadership development. These course are an investment in yourself.
- MessengerX: Messenger X is an App available for both iPhone and Android presented by Messenger International, a ministry that is led by one of Bridging the Gap’s favorite guest speakers, Lisa Bevere. This app puts leadership and ministry resources at your fingertips, making it portable and easy to access wherever you are.
- Darla Makela Coaching: Darla is a MN-based life coach with a focus on teaching women how to be equipped for His purpose.
May 2021 Highlighted Resource: Gallup - CliftonStrengths
Gallup has rebranded its StrengthsFinder 2.0 as CliftonStrengths. The Strengths Assessment “measures your talents – your natural patterns of thinking, feeling, and behaving – and categorizes them into the 34 CliftonStrengths themes.” (Gallup, 2021). This assessment provides you with your top five themes. Gallup also have several resources related to this that range from simply explaining your 5 most dominant traits to several resources that advise you how to work with others based on those themes. Check out their resources here: CliftonStrengths
Leaders that Inspire Leaders
“Love Wisdom like a sister; make insight a beloved member of your family.” Proverbs 7:4
Founder of Messenger International, Speaker, Author
Dr. Ken Blanchard, PhD
Author, Speaker, Business Consultant
Dr. Blanchard is a prolific author focused on leadership strategy, development, and frameworks. His leadership strategies are research-based and proven to be effective.
President of Proverbs 31 Ministries, Speaker, Author
Hearing Lysa speak is like hearing your own stories – she is our best friend – even if she doesn’t know it. She leads from a place of vulnerability, sharing the messiness of life through her words and God’s truth. She emphasizes the importance of a personal relationship with Christ throughout life’s ups and downs.
Talk Radio Host, Speak, and Author
Founder of The A21 Campaign and Propel Women, Activist, Author, Speaker
Christine Caine brings hope to our broken places, sharing her story of God rescuing her from the abuse she experienced. She turned her pain into a fierce advocacy and mission against human trafficking and for women’s empowerment to work for the Kingdom of God.