I love doing service projects with my family! Between church, the Boy Scouts, my son’s school, and supporting organizations we love, we find lots of projects to keep us busy. Good, upbeat music keeps us dancing as we work. Here are a few of our favorites!
- “Do Something” by Matthew West: I love the opening part when he’s complaining about all the trouble in the world and he says, “God, why don’t you do something?” God’s answer? “I did. I created YOU!” It’s an awesome reminder that God put us on this earth to be a blessing to others!
- “Hands and Feet” by Audio Adrenaline: An oldie but a goodie (1999, but I could swear it’s A LOT older). Classic Audio A still appeals to this recovering grunge gen-Xer, and this song is a great reminder of our role as God’s hands and feet.
- “Kings and Queens” by Audio Adrenaline: (not the original or newest version of the band, but the brief period when Kevin Max Smith from DC Talk was the frontman). This song is powerful, both lyrically and in presentation. The music video is fun too. It has the band and a group of Haitian kids playing with color war powder.
- “Shine” by the Newsboys: Another ’90s classic, and It’s upbeat and joyful! It talks about the life-changing joy that springs from our relationship with God, and how that joy helps us share Jesus with the world.
- “Wherever We Go (that’s where the party’s at)” by the Newsboys: Another great upbeat song about the joy and power of knowing the Lord. It’s ok to have fun as you serve the Lord and others!
- “Give me Your Eyes” by Brandon Heath: Nothing inspires compassion like seeing the world through Jesus’ eyes. I sometimes miss opportunities to help others because I don’t think of it until it’s too late. This song is my prayer that I would see things how Jesus sees them: to notice needs and be moved to help.
- “Fix my Eyes” by For King and Country: This is one of my favorite songs. It’s upbeat and powerful. The chorus lists wonderful acts of service that we all know we should be doing if we’re actively living out faith the way Jesus taught, and then it closes with the clincher, “…above it all – Fix my eyes on YOU!” I love that reminder; it’s easy to burn out trying to be good or do good things when you take your eyes off God and see only the world’s troubles.
- “Evidence” by Citizen Way: I love the opening lines of this song! “It’s not a flag on a field, not a sign in my yard. Not a cause that I join, not a phrase on a coin, it’s the change in my heart…” Love, acted out, is the true evidence of what we believe.
- “What are You Waiting For” by Natalie Grant: Sometimes helping others is hard, and affecting real change can feel practically hopeless. But you do have the power to make a difference, so what are you waiting for?
- “Live it Well” by Switchfoot: This is a newer song, and a current favorite of mine. It’s a great anthem about the drive to make your life count and make a positive impact on the world. My favorite part is the bridge, where they sing, “I got one life and one love. I got one voice, but maybe that’s enough. ‘Cause with one heartbeat and two hands to give, I got one shot and one life to live.”
All of these songs can be found on iTunes, Spotify, or YouTube, so check them out! If there are songs that fuel you while you serve, share them in the comments!