I love fall, it means apple season is HERE! I love picking my own apples, in fact Haralson apples are my “apple of choice” so when I pick them, I pick A LOT! So besides apple crisp, applesauce and apple cake finding ways to eat these delicious apples is a welcome challenge for me. I love to create a savory dish so I can eat them for dinner as well and that’s where this recipe came into play.
Now, growing up we had an apple tree in our backyard and when I would see my mom take out her cast iron pan I knew she was going to fry up some apples to go with our dinner. The fried apples inside this sandwich are a nod to my mom and the wonderful memory I have of watching her making one of my favorites each fall, maple fried apples.
This sandwich is a little bit salty with the cheese, a little bit sweet ‘n’ tart with the apples & the buttery nutty crunch from the bread, let’s just say sinking my teeth into this makes me smile!
FRIED APPLE GRILLED CHEESE
1 stick of butter, softened
2 tart apples, cored & slice
¼ cup maple syrup
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
8 slices of hearty multi-grain bread
8 slices Havarti cheese
- In a large skillet melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium high heat.
- Add sliced apples and sauté for 6-8 minutes or until apples begin to caramelize.
- Pour in maple syrup and cinnamon and simmer for another 3-5 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile butter one side of each slice of bread and place a slice of bread, butter side down into a skillet or Panini press.
- Layer with a slice of cheese, maple fried apples, then another slice of cheese.
- Place another slice of bread, butter side up on the sandwich and cook 4-6 minutes each side until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown.
- Repeat until all grilled sandwiches are complete.