I am convinced that one of the main things we are supposed to learn…to train ourselves about here on this earth is “Love”. Sounds simple, right? LOVE. But we are supposed to learn to recognize it in its many different forms. For instance…it is easy to recognize it in the sweet gaze of our loved one on our wedding day or in the chubby arms of our young child that reaches out to us and says “I love you mommy.” But what does “love” look like when the money is gone, or the house is silent in anger, or when your health is threatened? Where is our friend “love” at that time?
It’s exciting to realize that I AM learning a few things as I stumble through the training of my 50+ years…
1. Love is like a multi faceted diamond. It is easy to hold it in your hand and see the beauty of one side. But if we stay there, we will never see the magnificence of the entire gem! We need to hold this diamond to the light to get familiar with the many different sides, facets.
2. When we can be a safe place for our teenager to express their anger (okay…explode) and not take it personally…teaching boundaries and self-control by living it first ourselves…we are learning about a new and beautiful part of love…we are turning the diamond a bit.
3. When we can wake up every morning and make the decision to fight for our marriages even in the tough times…especially in the tough times…no matter what…we are once again turning the diamond…
4. When we can look at our child laying in a hospital bed (okay…this one is personal!) and feel such an overwhelming rush of emotions: fear, desperation, helplessness, but stay with them in their pain, stay strong (when we feeling like sobbing like a baby) “we will make it through this.”…another side of that diamond emerges.
5. When friends stay by your side…during the tough times, not trying to fix you, making you walk, making you eat and telling you to take it one day at a time…the diamond of love turns to reveal another beautiful side.
6. And….when you are eating a pasta hot dish, lovingly prepared by a dear, sweet friend…each bite makes you want to weep and fills your heart with gratitude…The diamond of love sparkles again and it turns to reveal another facet.
The diamond which is “love” glows brightly in the most surprising circumstances. We find it without fanfare, without any announcement or proclamation. When we can find love in a Pasta Hot dish…we have found a treasure beyond anything imaginable. We are learning what the Father intended for us to learn in this school called earth.
“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always preserves.”
The diamond called “Love” is so beautiful and it is being revealed to me more and more each day.