We’re all familiar with the phrase “too many things on my plate” in which we describe the busyness of our lives. Balancing the things in life – those things that fill my “plate of life” – is a daily challenge. No two days are ever alike. Each new day presents new opportunities, obligations, and challenges.
During really stressful times, I frequently meditate on the 23rd Psalm. Only with Jesus Christ as the center of my being am I able to feel calm and have true balance. He is my Shepherd. He restores my soul. He helps me prioritize the busyness of my day. I am grateful for His guidance.
My girlfriend Kimberly does a good job at challenging me to keep balance in my life. She knows when my life is out of balance. One night over dinner she asked me the question “What restores your soul?” Kimberly is one of those girlfriends who has the ability to love me unconditionally while at the same time challenge me in areas that need a little work. And she never minces words. She gets right to the point. I never have to wonder what she’s thinking! Next to spending time with my Savior, I came up with several answers for her, but not until I had pondered it for several days.
Here are a few things that I came up with that help me to slow down and bring some peace and calm back to my life:
- Candles – vanilla, cinnamon, or peach
- Being alone in my home in total quietness
- Reading my Bible
- A good cry
- Sitting next to open water
- Taking a walk outdoors
- Peppermint tea at bedtime
- Almond scented moisturizer
- Candy Fiction – easy reading, nothing heavy, no brain cells needed!
- An empty date on my calendar – rare, but wonderful
- Spending a weekend with a girlfriend
- A massage
- Meeting a friend for lunch
- A new set of kitchen towels and washcloths
- Watching the sun set
- Worship music
- Fresh flowers
- Observing the fall colors change
- Hot chocolate with a shot of raspberry, topped with whipped cream
Many of my “soul restorers” cost very little. So what are your Soul Restorers? Over the next few days, I challenge you to meditate on Gods word and begin jotting down the things that restore your soul. Keep your list handy and try to do something off of it every day. For those of you with little ones at home, you may feel this is next to impossible, but try anyway. You will be a better mom as a result of taking care of yourself and balancing your Plate of Life will become more manageable.
© Audrey Thomas