So I am a girl that likes her routine! However, most of my life should be titled, “Hurry Up and Be Flexible.” Can you relate?
What I have found to be true for me in my spiritual and physical life is that planning ahead and making time/space for the important routines will always reap a benefit.
John 15:5-8 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.” (emphasis mine)
I love the the Lord promises that if I remain in Him that I WILL bear much fruit. Sounds like a 100% return on your investment to me. I can attest that in my life when I am walking, running, and resting in HIM…the sweetest fruit is displayed in my life. However when I am trying to do things in my own flesh I get worn down, easily frustrated, and the results are “nothing” for the Kingdom. Let me be clear that I DO NOT do it right all the time…but the victories are becoming more and more frequent in my life and for that I just have to humbly thank God for not giving up on me!!
This past year, my physical disciplines have also greatly helped my spiritual disciplines. As I have been training my body (God’s Temple) to be better energized for Him, I have been more aware of my absolute NEED to train myself spiritually. I can’t “feed” myself with what other people are learning and I can’t expect to bear fruit if I am not being nourished in His Word daily. I need to be taking in the “SUPER FOOD” of His Word for it to nourish my soul!
As I have been agreeing with His Word, part of what I’ve been learning is that life’s physical answers are out there…if I don’t see them in front of me, I need to search them out!! I wasn’t raised in a healthy eating environment, so for 45 years of my life I stuck to that unhealthy routine. However, I felt God was challenging me to find the answers for me to eat healthy and that there are some great options out there for delicious, filling, and healthy food! God wanted to resurrect a new routine for me and replace my old “toxic” habits with His “life giving” choices.
So here are some practical tips and I am sharing with you some of my favorites super foods! I would love to hear what your favorites are, too! Here we go…
1. Greek Yogurt. Creamy, tangy, and my favorite brand is Fage 0%. 1 cup is only 130 calories with 23 grams of protein and very low sugars. I add Truvia (a natural Stevia sweetner) to it to add a little sweetness. Top with flax, cinnamon, almonds, or a little of your favorite fresh fruit.
2. Flax. I put it in everything! I get my Omega’s/Fiber without having to pop as many fish oil. It is also an anti-inflammatory and so it is helping with the exercise recovery.
3. Oatmeal. Gluten free! Try crockpot oatmeal for easy large amounts or I bought a deep bowl with high sides that I just add water to and make in the microwave most mornings. I add Stevia, Cinnamon, Almonds, and a few spoonfuls of Greek Yogurt to complete it!
4. Bragg’s Liquid. Zero fat and calories with protein and significantly less sodium than salt or soy sauce. Tastes great and I put it on everything from eggs to veggies and Quinoa or brown rice.
5. Stevia. This sweetner does not raise your blood sugar and is a natural sugar substitute that does not add toxins to your system. I use the more powdery brand for my coffee (like green package below) and the more crystal-like brand (Truvia) with my oatmeal and yogurt for a similar texture to sugar.
6. Almonds. I pack them with me in my purse for a quick snack. The right kind of fat and protein to be a mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack.
7. Egg Whites. Great source of protein and you can eat several for low calories and high nutrition value.
8. Greens. From steamed broccoli to spinach and other leafy greens, add them as a filler to every meal. Low calorie, high volume payoff with great nutrition. I flavor with Bragg’s Liquid and sometimes add a bit of Olive Oil.
So, with my Super Food (both spiritual and physical), I prepare for them in my day. I bring the foods with me or instead of running through a drive through, I will go pick them up in the grocery store. (So much cheaper and so much better for you even if you are on the road. )
Spiritually I prepare by getting up early to connect with God through His Word in my day. Some days do not allow this so I bring my “Jesus Calling” devotional with me in the car along with my Bible and another research book I am reading about Godly Living. That way I have everything I need for those moments of down time so that I can be cultivating a life that bears much fruit.
Even though life often calls us to “hurry up and be flexible,” when you plan ahead life’s circumstances won’t grab hold of you – you can take hold of them. Add to your routine some “super foods” that are both spiritual and physical. John 15:8 “…this is to my Father’s glory that you bear much fruit.” He longs to make His glory known. I Can’t wait to see the harvest that He produces in your life!
More info at: www.agreeingwithgod.wordpress.com