“A joyful, cheerful heart brings healing to both body and soul.” Proverbs 17:22a, TPT
Summertime in Minnesota needs to be celebrated and lived to the fullest. Here are a few ideas that will bring a smile to your face and health to your body and soul.
- Grab your cup of coffee and walk outside. It’s amazing to take a breath of the early morning air. Even if you can only stay outside for a few minutes, do it. Rain or sunshine, hot or humid, embrace what the day is bringing your way.
- Change up your breakfast. Get rid of the thought that breakfast has to be carbs and sugar. Try something new like a smoothie, yogurt with fresh fruit, or a roasted beet and goat cheese salad. It will bring you lots of energy, and you will feel a light lighter.
- Let the wind blow through the windows as you are driving. I realize that a lot of times you are dressed up, every hair in place. But whenever possible, tie back your hair and pretend you’re in a convertible.
- Eat dinner on the deck. Some of my daughters’ favorite memories from childhood are family meals on the back deck. They especially remember the grilled meats and vegetables, and bruschetta with tomatoes from the garden. Some foods are just meant for summer. Celebrate what is in season by purchasing at the local farmers’ market or by growing your own vegetable/herb garden.
- Be spontaneous. Instead of putting pajamas on the children in the evening, tell them to put their swimming suits on. Bring them to a local beach to swim while the sun sets or let them cool off by running through the sprinkler.
- Play a fun game with friends and laugh the evening away. Friends came over last weekend and brought a new game with them – Codenames. My husband and I laughed so hard we cried. The combination of a great group game and crazy friends made for the best evening ever.
Your trust should be in God, who richly gives you all you need for your enjoyment. 1 Timothy 6:17b
Becky Meyerson is passionate about writing and teaching from the Word of God. Her heart is to see women flourish in every season of life. To encourage and empower women to live abundantly she writes free Bible reading plans, Bible studies, blogs and speaks on healthy thinking, identity, and purpose. www.beckymeyerson.com
I love these ideas! And, isn’t it great we live in a state where we can get so excited about summer?